Friday, July 1, 2011

Through a Dog's Eyes

My beloved Muffin. May 1984


If you have a dog, love dogs or are thinking of getting a dog, you must read this book. If you don't read, listen to it on audio book. Really.






I first heard about this book listening to NPR on the radio as I drove to an appointment. When I arrived to my destination, I stayed in the car until the program was finished, I was that captivated by what she had to say.


If you work with dogs, or have a dog who is rescued, you must read this book. If you want to get a dog from a shelter but think they are less shiny than a brand new $800 one...... think again, and read this book!

The author writes about all dogs, rescued dogs, shelter dogs and what they go through, how their minds work, how they love us and how you can love them back. How you can help them, train them..it's just so full of everything we need to know, it should come strapped to every dog upon arrival into your life. Yes, I love it that much.

As some of you know, I work with animals in my healing practice, and have had experience and a deeper knowing of their thoughts, emotions and their energy. I highly recommend the information in this book just based on what I have gleaned in my practice.

Jennifer Arnold also gets deep into the heart of dog training and the misconceptions on how to do that. She talks about how a dog's one goal in life is to love and to please you. She has trained many dogs, including those who go to rescue work and to people with special needs.

Here is the full PBS program that aired on TV showing Jennifer training dogs for special needs and servicemen that go on to touch and change many lives.

Her method of training is based on the belief that you teach dogs through kindness and encouragement, not with "I'm bigger than you and you must listen to me or be intimidated or shamed." I think we have all seen that kind of training. She is very much against the use of physically and emotionally harmful training and her results are amazing.  If you have trained your dog through those other methods, you can still heal what was done and rework the relationship through Jennifer's methods.

This book will change the way you relate to your dog in so many ways, or the dogs you work with. Truly understanding and communicating with your dog.


Purchase Through a Dog's Eyes on Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment